Rich, creamy and decadent, this 4 ingredient no churn chocolate ice cream is easy to make without an ice cream maker! This frozen dessert is perfect to serve on a summer day and for double the chocolate flavor, add chocolate chips.
On a warm day, nothing is better than a scoop of cool and creamy ice cream and this recipe for no churn chocolate ice cream does not disappoint! Made with quality dark chocolate, whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk, it is not only easy to make but after one spoonful you won’t believe how incredibly luscious it is!
After making my no churn strawberry cheesecake ice cream and falling in love with this method that does not require any special equipment like an ice cream maker, I just knew I had to make a chocolaty version to satisfy when the chocolate craving hits.
All you need is a few basic ingredients, your freezer and a mixer. That’s it! Homemade ice cream is so simple following this no-churn recipe! Stir in some additional chopped chocolate or chocolate chips if you really want to amp up that fudgy flavor, but you don’t need to as the chocolate flavor is intense as is!
Table of Contents
What Is No-Churn Ice Cream?
No churn ice cream refers to any ice cream that is made without any ice cream maker needed. It does not use any eggs and most often is made with sweetened condensed milk instead of granulated sugar.
Unlike traditional ice cream that takes a lot of planning and hours to make, this no-churn chocolate ice cream is ready in as little as five hours. You will be amazed at its velvety and creamy texture in every bite of this frozen dessert!
Ingredients Needed to Make No-Churn Chocolate Ice Cream
- Quality dark chocolate: I like to use a quality chocolate bar as it melts more smoothly and doesn’t risk seizing up like chocolate chips can do.
- Whipping cream: Whole whipping cream or heavy cream that is at least 30% fat is necessary for the creamy texture.
- Sweetened condensed milk: This thick, sweetened milk is found in the baking aisle. Be sure you purchase sweetened condensed milk, not evaporated milk.
- Vanilla extract: This adds a sweet flavor to the homemade ice cream.
- Chopped milk chocolate or chips (optional): For additional chocolate flavor and texture. Use mini chocolate chips if you would like!
How to Make No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream
Melt and cool chocolate: In a microwave safe bowl or a bain-marie, melt the chopped dark chocolate and then let it cool.
Combine chocolate mixture: In a medium bowl combine melted chocolate and vanilla extract with the sweetened condensed milk.
Whip cream: In a mixer bowl fitted with the whisk attachment or using hand beaters beat whipping cream until it holds stiff peaks. This should take about 3 minutes.
Combine: Gently fold the condensed milk mixture into the whipped cream and combine.
Fold in chocolate chips: Stir some or all of the chopped milk chocolate or chips into the ice cream base.
Freeze: Place the mixture into a loaf pan or large freezer safe pan, sprinkle with the remaining chopped chocolate if you would like then cover and freeze for at least 5 hours or until firm.
Make this chocolate ice cream no churn your own with these fun add-ins! For best results, chop your add-ins into small pieces and pick no more than one or two adding them after you have mixed the ice cream in the last step.
- Mocha: Add up to a Tablespoon of espresso powder to your melted chocolate.
- Candy: M&Ms, Reeses cups or any other favorite chocolate candies. Sprinkles would be fun, too!
- Rocky road: Add in some mini marshmallows and some chopped nuts.
- Coconut flakes: Unsweetened coconut flakes and chopped pecans.
Tips for the Best No-Churn Ice Cream
- Skip the unsweetened cocoa powder: For the best depth of flavor in this chocolate ice cream with condensed milk, skip the cocoa powder which can lend a powdery taste and choose quality chopped dark chocolate bars that have been melted and cooled.
- Chilled equipment: It’s not only important that your whipping cream is chilled but using a chilled mixing bowl and beaters will assist your whipping cream into achieving a uniform stiff consistency.
- Keep ice cream covered: To prevent exposure to air and a grainy ice cream texture, keep your ice cream covered in the freezer. Air causes moisture to evaporate which then leads to ice crystals forming on the top.
- Ice cream sundae bar: Serve this no churn chocolate ice cream at a party and create a fun sundae bar with fun ice cream toppings for your guests. Don’t forget the hot fudge sauce, caramel sauce, strawberry sauce and whipped cream!
How to Store Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
For best results when making your ice cream, line your loaf pan with parchment paper. After it is frozen, it is then easier to remove your homemade ice cream from the pan and store it in an airtight container.
Storing your ice cream near the back of the freezer will also aid in preventing ice crystals from forming. You can also put a layer of plastic wrap or parchment paper on top of the ice cream to prevent this from happening.
Why is my no-churn ice cream so hard?
If you do not use full fat condensed milk or heavy whipping cream, your homemade ice cream will not be as creamy. The higher the fat content in ice cream the creamier it will be!
Is this chocolate ice cream gluten-free?
Yes! As is this recipe is gluten-free, egg free, nut free and vegetarian. It does contain a fair amount of dairy, so it is not vegan or dairy free though.
How much ice cream does this make?
This chocolate ice cream with condensed milk will yield approximately 5 cups of ice cream and serve 6 people. Of course, the serving amount will depend on how much you are craving a cool and creamy chocolate treat.
How long will no-churn ice cream last?
Stored properly and near the back of the freezer, this chocolate ice cream no churn could last a few months, although I think it really tastes the best if eaten within two weeks. If you notice freezer burn on it, it’s time to toss it.
Can I make no-churn ice cream in an ice cream maker?
Of course, if you love the results from the churn of an ice cream maker and have one on hand, just follow the manufacturer’s directions. The beauty of this chocolate ice cream recipe without an ice cream maker is that even with no special equipment it still turns out so creamy and delicious!
More Ice Cream Recipes
- No Churn Pistachio Ice Cream
- No Churn Butter Pecan Ice Cream
- No Churn Strawberry Ice Cream
- Easy Chocolate Milkshake
No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 Loaf pan
- 1 hand mixer or stand mixer
- mixing bowls
- 3 ounces chocolate good quality dark chocolate
- 2 cups cream whole/heavy or whipping cream at least 30% fat content
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces milk chocolate chopped good quality or chips (optional)
- Melt the chocolate and let cool.
- In a medium bowl combine the melted chocolate and vanilla with the sweetened condensed milk.
- In the mixer with the whisk attachment or with the hand beaters beat the cream until stiff peaks appear.
- Gently fold the condensed milk mixture into the whipped cream and combine well. If you want you can stir in some or all of chopped chocolate or chips.
- Place the mixture into a loaf pan or large freezer safe pan, sprinkle with the remaining or all of the chopped chocolate if desired. Cover and freeze at least 5 hours or until firm, even better to freeze over night. Enjoy!