Learn how to make an easy Chocolate Milkshake at home! This classic ice cream dessert is quick to make and even easier to eat. Chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream are blended together and topped with whipped cream. A classic sweet treat you can make at home!
Chocolate Milkshake Recipe
We love our ice cream around here and we love to use it to make milkshakes! This chocolate milkshake is always a favorite - cold, creamy, and chocolatey! If you have a blender, you can make the best milkshake that's better than any you can get at an ice cream parlor.
Vanilla ice cream - I recommend using a full-fat premium ice cream for this recipe. Yes, you can substitute lower-fat ice cream but your chocolate shake won't be as rich and creamy.
Whole milk - since we're going premium with the ice cream, you definitely want to use whole milk for the best shake. If you use a milk with less fat you may want to add more ice cream to thicken it up.
Chocolate sauce or fudge sauce - either will work fine and you can use homemade or store-bought.
How to Make It
First, you'll want to prepare the milkshake glasses. I like to drizzle chocolate sauce on the inside of the glasses and smear it around with a spoon. Once you've done this, place the glasses in the freezer while you prepare the milkshakes.
Place the ice cream, chocolate sauce, and milk in a blender. Secure the lid and blend until smooth.
Pour the ice cream mixture into the cold glasses and they're ready to serve!
Add Some Milkshake Toppings!
Chocolate milkshakes are great plain, but why not add some toppings to make them even better?
- Homemade whipped cream or prepared whipped topping
- Chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, or fruit sauce like strawberry sauce
- Grated chocolate
- Mini chocolate chips
- Chopped nuts like peanuts or walnuts
- Maraschino cherries
Tips for the Best Homemade Milkshake
Chill the glasses so your shake stays cold while you're enjoying it.
If you like a thick milkshakes, add more ice cream. Or, to thin it, add more milk.
It's best to eat/drink the milkshake as soon as it is made.
Serve the chocolate milkshakes with straws and spoons to make it easy to get every last drop!
Should you use ice cubes to make a milkshake?
No, you don't need to add ice cubes - the ice cream is cold enough. If you do add ice, it will just water down your shake.
Can you use melted chocolate?
I don’t recommend putting melted chocolate in a blender. Chocolate sauce works much better since the consistency won’t harden.
We love a classic chocolate milkshake, but it's fun to put a twist on it to change up the flavor!
- Mocha Milkshake: Instead of vanilla ice cream, use coffee ice cream to make a mocha milkshake.
- Chocolate Lovers: Swap the vanilla for chocolate ice cream for an even more chocolate flavor.
- Chocolate Mint: Add a little bit of mint or peppermint extract when you blend the shake.
- Chocolate Strawberry: Drizzle strawberry sauce on the inside of the glasses and top the chocolate shake with more strawberry sauce for a fruity twist.
- Chocolate Banana Milkshake: Use banana ice cream instead of vanilla. Or, blend a frozen banana with vanilla ice cream.
There's nothing better than a creamy milkshake when you want a cold treat! Give this easy recipe a try soon and enjoy!
More Easy Dessert Recipes
Easy Chocolate Milk Shake
- 2½ tablespoons chocolate (or chocolate fudge) sauce
- ⅔ cup cold milk (whole)
- 2⅓ cups vanilla ice cream (real cream ice cream not frozen dessert)
- ½ cup whipped cream
- 2-3 tablespoons chocolate (or chocolate fudge) sauce
- Smear 1 teaspoon of chocolate sauce around the inside of 2 tall glasses about 1-2 inches below the rim, not evenly using the back of a small spoon to spread it. Then place the glasses in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes.
- In the blender add the milk, ice cream and chocolate sauce and blend until smooth. Pour into the glasses, top with whipped cream and drizzle with chocolate sauce or grated chocolate if desired. Enjoy!