Chocolate Covered Oreos
Easy to make chocolate covered Oreos are the perfect no bake dessert to make at the holidays or anytime of the year. Learn how to make these 3-ingredient chocolate dipped Oreos for a crowd-pleasing treat using only Oreos, chocolate and sprinkles!
Rich, festive and fun to make, these chocolate covered Oreos are simple to make and do not require any baking like my favorite chocolate Oreo quick bread. They are perfect to whip up anytime you need a quick treat and you can even get the kids involved to help make them.
They are also versatile and easy to adjust to any theme or holiday like my Easter bark by using different sprinkles or a different kind of chocolate! Make a white chocolate version or try dark chocolate, you honestly can’t go wrong with these chocolate covered treats.
They are perfect for Christmas cookie trays or make them for a last minute Valentine’s Day treat. With a creamy chocolate coating on the outside and the signature Oreo cookie crunch on the inside, they really are irresistible.
Table of Contents
Chocolate Covered Oreos Ingredients
These chocolate-covered Oreos are so simple to make with only 3 ingredients!
- Oreo cookies: You will need 15 classic Oreo cookies. Feel free to use your favorite variety of Oreos though!
- Chocolate: You will need 8 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate. I recommend using high quality chocolate chips, chopped chocolate bars or chocolate candy melts.
- Sprinkles: This is optional but adds such a fun look to these easy no-bake cookies!
How to Make Chocolate Covered Oreos
The whole family will love making this easy recipe!
Melt the chocolate: Place your semi sweet chocolate in a small bowl over a pot of water on low heat ensuring the bowl is not touching the water. Melt until smooth, stirring often. Alternatively, use a microwave safe bowl to melt the chocolate.
Dip cookies: Dip each Oreo into the melted chocolate using a fork. Remove the excess chocolate from the cookies and place them on the prepared parchment-lined baking sheet.
Add sprinkles: Before the chocolate sets add your choice of sprinkles.
Chill and serve: Refrigerate the chocolate dipped cookies for approximately 15 minutes or until set. Serve and enjoy!
Why You’ll Love These Cookies
- Quick and easy: Only 3 ingredients and 30 minutes are needed for this simple Oreo dipped cookie recipe!
- No-bake cookies: Perfect to enjoy anytime of the year and with no oven these chocolate Oreos are easy for anyone to make, even the kids!
- Crowd pleasing: Everyone loves Oreo cookies and chocolate dipped Oreos just makes them even better.
- Holiday favorite: Perfect for holiday cookie trays, cookie swaps and gifting to friends and family!
- Dip in white chocolate: Instead of semi-sweet chocolate, dip your Oreos in white chocolate. Top with red sprinkles for Valentine’s Day!
- Holiday themed sprinkles: Change the sprinkles to fit the festive occasion! Halloween or orange sprinkles for Halloween, pastel sprinkles for Easter or red and green for Christmas.
- Drizzle: Instead of topping with sprinkles, melt some candy melts and drizzle it on top of the dipped Oreos. Match the color of the candy melt to the holiday you are celebrating!
- Gluten free: Use gluten-free Oreos if needed.
- Use a mold: While it’s not necessary you can use a round silicone cookie mold if you would like your chocolate dipped Oreos to have a uniform look.
- Oreo pops: Insert a lollipop stick into the cream center of the Oreo then holding the stick dip it in the melted chocolate. Allow excess to drip off then place on parchment paper.
- Use high-quality chocolate or candy melts for your chocolate coating. Ghirardelli melting wafers are a good brand as well as Guittard. Almond bark or a good quality chopped chocolate bar could be used if you would like.
- Be careful not to over melt your chocolate as it will be lumpy.
- To avoid both a mess and also to obtain a smooth bottom on your chocolate covered Oreo cookies line your baking sheet or cooling rack with parchment paper.
- Remember to add your festive sprinkles before your chocolate hardens.
- Allow the excess chocolate to drop off before placing it on the parchment paper to harden. This helps avoid creating a chocolate ‘foot’.
How to Store
Refrigerator: If you have used untempered chocolate such as candy bars or chocolate chips, it is better to store these in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2 – 4 weeks. If you have used tempered chocolate such as baking chocolate or candy melts, you can store the cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for 2 – 4 weeks.
Freeze: You can store these in the freezer in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before serving.
What is the best chocolate to use?
I used a semi-sweet chocolate bar. Feel free to use any chocolate you would like! Try a combination of white chocolate and milk chocolate chips or even candy melts.
How long will this chocolate covered Oreos recipe last?
If they last that long, feel free to store these in an airtight container for 2-4 weeks. Depending on whether you have used tempered chocolate or untempered chocolate you may need to store them in the refrigerator as untempered chocolate will melt easier.
Can I leave chocolate dipped Oreos out overnight?
While these are best stored covered in an airtight container, if you forgot these chocolate dipped sandwich cookies should be fine to enjoy the next day even if left out overnight.
What kind of Oreos should I use?
Any variety is fine to use! Regular Oreos, double stuff, golden Oreos, peppermint or any fun seasonal variety that they release.
More Homemade Treats
- Coconut white chocolate truffles
- Strawberry sandwich cookies
- Coconut macaroons
- Homemade Baileys chocolates
- Chocolate almond bark
Chocolate Covered Oreos
- 15 Oreo cookies
- 8 ounces Semi sweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons Sprinkles
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the semi sweet chocolate in a small bowl over a pot of water on low heat. (make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water) Melt until smooth, stirring often. When the chocolate is completely melted remove the bowl from the heat.
- Dip the oreos in the melted chocolate, one at a time, using a fork. Remove the excess chocolate from the cookies and place them on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Add sprinkles on top of the cookies and refrigerate them for approximately 15 minutes or until set. Serve and Enjoy!