Strawberry Sandwich Cookies are buttery strawberry cookies sandwiched with strawberry cream cheese filling. They’re made with fresh strawberry puree for the best flavor – the perfect spring and summer cookie recipe.
When I first started baking, I thought sandwich cookies must be very hard to make but oh, I was wrong about that. These types of cookies, like this strawberry sandwich cookie recipe I’m sharing today, are actually easy to make.
Just because something looks fancy doesn’t mean it’s complicated – I’m glad I’ve learned that lesson! I would have missed out on so many amazing cookies.
And these strawberry cookies are amazing. They’re made with fresh strawberry puree so the fruit flavor is in every bite. The cookies are easy – just simple butter cookies flavored with fruit puree – and the strawberry filling is easy, too.
They’re the best cookies for the spring and summer season – perfect for Valentine’s Day, Easter, or just an everyday dessert with a cup of coffee or tea.
When strawberries are in season, you can make the puree with fresh strawberries. If they’re not in season, just use frozen berries that way you don’t have to wait until spring to treat yourself.
Table of Contents
- All-purpose flour – at least 11% protein, this keeps the cookies from spreading.
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Salt – if you use unsalted butter then add a bit extra salt.
- Softened butter
- Large egg
- Strawberry puree
- Cream cheese – whole fat is best
- Powdered sugar (confectioners’ sugar)
- Heavy cream – or whipping or whole cream, with at least 30% fat.
How to Make Strawberry Cookies
Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and work it into the dry ingredients until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.
Add the egg and strawberry puree and mix until almost combined. Gather the cookie dough in a ball and move it to a work surface.
Cover it tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for one to two hours.
Roll out the chilled dough to a thickness of 1/8″. Cut out rounds using a small round cookie cutter. Place the dough rounds on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
Use the nozzle of a pastry tip to cut out small circles in half of the dough rounds. Refrigerate them while you preheat the oven to 350°F.
Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes and then cool them on the baking sheets for five to ten minutes. Transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling
Combine the powdered sugar, cream cheese, strawberry puree, and cream in a mixing bowl. Mix until combined and the filling is thick.
Spoon some filling on each of the cookies without a hole. Top with the cookies with the holes so you can see the filling peeking out.
Store the baked cookies in an airtight container. They will keep at room temperature for approximately 2-3 days, if your home is quite warm then store in the fridge. In the fridge they will keep for 5-6 days.
They can also be frozen in a freezer safe container or bag. They will keep for up to 2 months in the freezer.
The first time I made strawberry sandwich cookies, I thought about the other variations you could make. Here are a few ideas you might like:
- Use other berry purees like blueberry, raspberry, or blackberry to make different flavored sandwich cookies.
- Make strawberry sandwich cookies, but change the filling flavor – chocolate or Nutella cream spread or white chocolate, or vanilla buttercream frosting would all work well.
- Instead of strawberry cream cheese frosting, try strawberry buttercream frosting.
The strawberry flavor really shines in these easy sandwich cookies. Definitely a must-try when you want a pretty cookie to share with friends and family. Enjoy!
More Easy Cookies
Strawberry Sandwich Cookies
FOR THE DOUGH
- 2 cups all purpose flour (at least 11% protein)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt*
- ¾ cup +2 tablespoons butter (softened) (total 198 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 tablespoons strawberry puree
*If you use unsalted butter add ¼ teaspoon salt.
FOR THE FILLING
- 1½ ounces cream cheese (whole)
- ¾ cup +2 tablespoons icing/powdered sugar (total 105 grams)
- 1 tablespoon strawberry puree
- ½ tablespoon cream (whole/whipping/heavy)
FOR THE DOUGH
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, add the butter and combine to form coarse crumbs, add the egg and puree and mix until almost combined. Move to a flat surface and form into a compact dough. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Roll the dough to a little thicker then ⅛ thickness and cut out with a small round cookie cutter (about 1-1 1/2 inches). Place the cutouts on parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Half the rounds cut out a small hole using the tip of pastry nozzle. While the oven is pre-heating refrigerate the cookies for 15-20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet 5-10 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Place some filling on each of the whole cookies and top with the holed cookie. Enjoy!
FOR THE FILLING
- In a medium bowl add the icing sugar, cream cheese, strawberry puree and cream, mix until thick. If needed add more sugar or puree. Refrigerate until ready to use.