Rich and decadent chocolate Oreo quick bread is made with cocoa powder and crushed Oreos. It’s moist, indulgent and perfect for breakfast on the go or serve this chocolate loaf for an easy dessert!
Featuring everyone’s favorite chocolate sandwich cookie, this chocolate Oreo quick bread is easy to make with a moist, tender crumb! It’s buttery, chocolaty and totally crave worthy.
This simple quick bread recipe is similar to my double chocolate bread but with Oreos! The hardest part of making this chocolate bread is actually not eating all the Oreos before you make the bread!
Whether you like to dunk your Oreos or eat the cream first, you will want to serve this rich Oreo chocolate bread with a tall glass of milk to wash it down. Other chocolate bread recipes we love include this chocolate yeast bread, chocolate chip bread and chocolate banana bread!
Table of Contents
Ingredients in Oreo Chocolate Bread
- Butter: Your butter will need to be melted and then cooled to room temperature.
- All purpose flour: Adds structure to the bread.
- Granulated sugar: For sweet taste.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: Be sure to sift your cocoa powder to remove any lumps.
- Baking powder and baking soda: Leavening agents for lift and rise.
- Salt: Just a pinch.
- Greek yogurt: Use plain yogurt, the higher percentage of fat the richer your Oreo quick bread will be.
- Milk: 2% or higher for best taste.
- Egg: For binding.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla for best taste.
- Oreo cookies: 15 Oreo cookies broken into pieces.
How to Make Chocolate Oreo Quick Bread
Dry ingredients: In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda until no lumps remain and then set aside.
Wet ingredients: In a medium bowl whisk together Greek yogurt, milk, melted and cooled butter, egg and vanilla.
Combine: Add the yogurt mixture to the flour and mix just until combined. Your batter will be lumpy and that is ok! Fold in the crushed Oreos, leaving a few crumbs aside, until the flour is completely incorporated.
Bake: Spoon the Oreo quick bread batter into the loaf pan and top with the remaining Oreo pieces. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the loaf comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Oreo Bread Variations
- Oreo variations: Lucky for us these days Oreo cookies have so many delicious flavors! Try peanut butter, mint, or a seasonal variety!
- Chocolate chips: For even more chocolate decadence, add 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Glaze: After your Oreo quick bread has cooled, add a chocolate glaze or white chocolate glaze!
- Sour cream: Try sour cream if you are out of Greek yogurt.
- Gluten free: Substitute a 1:1 all purpose gluten free flour and use gluten free Oreos.
Expert Tips to Make Oreo Bread
- For easy removal of your bread from the pan, line your loaf pan with parchment paper and then grease and flour the sides of the pan.
- Room temperature ingredients will result in a light-textured and tender cake.
- Cool your bread for 15 minutes in the pan before removing it to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Don’t over mix your quick bread batter. When you add the Oreo cookies, stir gently until just combined.
- Sift your dry ingredients before adding them to the batter so they incorporate fully.
How to Store Chocolate Oreo Quick Bread
Store bread covered at room temperature for a week or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
To freeze, wrap bread tightly in plastic wrap then place in a sealed container or freezer-safe storage bag for up to three months. Thaw and then enjoy.
Can I add a cream cheese swirl?
While I have not tested this, you could try by whipping together softened cream cheese with granulated sugar, egg, vanilla and a small amount of flour. Add half the batter to the pan, add your cream cheese mixture and then place remaining batter in the pan.
Can I add frosting?
How do I know when my quick bread is done baking?
When a knife inserted into the center comes out mostly clean with just a few crumbs, your bread is done!
How to serve my bread?
This bread is delicious as is although a scoop of vanilla ice cream makes it even better when served for dessert.
More Delicious Quick Breads
Chocolate Oreo Quick Bread
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons Butter – melted and cooled
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- ⅔ cups Granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder – sifted
- 1 ¾ teaspoons Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt – plain
- ¾ cups Milk – 2%
- 1 large Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 15 Oreo cookies – broken into pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C) and grease and flour a 9 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda and set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together yogurt, milk, melted butter, egg and vanilla. Add the yogurt mixture to the flour and mix just until combined and the flour is almost completely incorporated. It will be a bit lumpy. Fold in the crushed oreos, leaving a few crumbs aside, until the flour is completely incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into the loaf pan and top with the remaining oreo pieces. Bake for about 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the loaf comes out clean. Let cool for about 15 minutes in the pan then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!