These creamy decadent truffles are made with coconut and white chocolate. The perfect no bake treat perfect for anytime. Holiday or just because!
Today I am sharing this Truffle recipe just in time for Mother’s Day. This is an easy no bake recipe that unexperienced bakers like kids or husbands can make! Because who doesn’t love chocolate truffles?!
Table of Contents
- White Chocolate – since this a no bake recipe a good quality white chocolate is very important
- Cream – whole, heavy or whipping cream with at least 30% fat
- Butter – I use salted
- Coconut – unsweetened – shredded, in Italy coconut is quite fine and that is what I use
- Vanilla – extract
What are truffles?
If you are like me when someone mention truffles I am not sure they mean the chocolate variety or the mushroom and that’s because are actually named after the truffle mushrooms because of the resemblance to them. Chocolate truffles originated in 1895 in France, it was there that the ball of chocolate ganache was dusted with cocoa and given the name truffle.
How to make them
Using a microwave or bain marie method stir until melted and smooth the chocolate broken into pieces, the cream and butter.
Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and coconut.
Cover the bowl with plastic and refrigerate until firm approximately 2-3 hours.
Remove the chocolate from the fridge and form into balls, roll the balls in coconut or even finely chopped nuts. Place on a parchment paper lined dish or small sheet, cover with plastic and refrigerate until ready to serve.
What is bain marie?
For those of us, me included who don’t own a microwave, the best way to melt chocolate, or in this case chocolate, butter & cream, is to place the ingredients in a bowl and place the bowl over a small pot with water (make sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl).
Then the water is heated to a low boil which melts the chocolate, butter and cream, all you have to do is stir the ingredients until smooth.
Tips for making the best truffles
- Using a small ice cream scoop makes it easy to portion out the right amount.
- Wear plastic or disposable gloves to keep your hands clean and help with the heat from hands melting the chocolate.
- Be sure to chill the mixture enough before rolling.
- Have all your topping ingredients ready for rolling the truffles.
Store the truffles in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep for up to 7 days. Bring them to room temperature before serving.
Truffles can be frozen although they may develop a discoloration also known as bloom, although it won’t affect the taste and will be less obvious when using white chocolate. Place the truffles in a freezer safe container with parchment paper between the layers. They will last in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw the chocolates in the fridge overnight. Serve at room temperature.
I hope if you are looking for a delicious and quick no bake recipe, especially something for Mom on her special day, you give these Coconut White Chocolate Truffles a try and let me know what you think! Enjoy.
Coconut White Chocolate Truffles
- 6 ounces white chocolate (good quality) chopped
- 3 tablespoons cream (heavy, whole or whipping – at least 30% fat)
- 1 tablespoon butter (salted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut shredded
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut shredded or finely chopped nuts (or half and half)
- Using a microwave or bain marie method stir until melted and smooth the chocolate broken into pieces, the cream and butter. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and coconut.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and coconut.
- Cover the bowl with plastic and refrigerate until firm approximately 2-3 hours.
- Remove the chocolate from the fridge and form into small golf ball size balls*. Roll the balls in the coconut or finely chopped nuts. Place on a parchment paper lined dish or small cookie sheet, cover with plastic and refrigerate until ready to serve. Remove from fridge and serve room temperature. Enjoy!
*Using a small ice cream scoop or heaping teaspoon.
Today is Taste Creations Week! Please check out these other delicious Truffle Recipes from my Food Blogger Friends.