Easy Stuffed Cookies are buttery cookies with delicious fillings like Nutella or jam. It’s an easy one-bowl cookie recipe made with simple ingredients you might already have on hand.
I really believe some of the best cookies are the simplest ones, like these stuffed cookies. You don’t need to make a big mess in the kitchen or follow complicated recipe steps to make delicious butter cookies with a secret filling inside.
Yes, it is a one-bowl cookie recipe, and even better, you can make the dough by hand with a spoon, in a stand mixer, or even a food processor. Whichever you choose, you only need one bowl.
These stuffed cookies are also easy to customize with your favorite filling. I love to make Nutella stuffed cookies, but you can also use your favorite flavor jam, chocolate cream, or pastry cream.
They’re the perfect anytime cookie or make a batch to share. Everyone will love a bite of these buttery cookies with the special surprise-inside filling.
Table of Contents
- Pastry flour – You can make your own cake flour with all-purpose flour and cornstarch. For every cup of flour, remove two tablespoons and replace them with the same amount of cornstarch. Sift or whisk the mixture to combine.
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Butter (room temperature)
- Large egg (room temperature)
- Powdered sugar (for dusting)
There are several fillings you can use in these cookies:
Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and stir to form a dough mixture with coarse crumbs.
Add the egg and stir until almost combined. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it gently to form a compact cookie dough ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Roll out the chilled dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/8″. Use a 2 1/2″ round cookie cutter to cut out the cookies.
Place about a teaspoon of filling on one side of the cutout to stuff the cookies. Fold the other half over the filling. Dampen your fingers and press the edges together. Use the tines of a fork to crimp the edges.
Place the filled cookies on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Chill them in the refrigerator for 1 5 to 20 minutes. While the cookies chill, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°F).
Bake the stuffed cookies for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden. Cool them on the baking sheet for about five minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Once the cookies are cooled, dust them with powdered sugar before serving.
This is an easy cookie recipe to make by hand with just a bowl and a spoon, or you can use your stand mixer or food processor.
- Stand Mixer: Whisk the dry ingredients with the whisk attachment first. Then, switch to the paddle attachment when you add the softened butter.
- Food Processor: Pulse the dry ingredients to combine. Add the softened butter and pulse until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.
Be sure to seal the edges of the cookies so the filling doesn’t leak out when you bake them. I wet my fingers to first glue the edges together and then use a fork to make a crimp edge which seals them even better.
Don’t skip chilling the dough. This firms up the butter so your cookies won’t spread too much while they bake. You should chill the dough before rolling it out and then once you’ve filled and sealed the dough rounds.
Store the cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. Or, you can store the baked cookies in the freezer for up to two months. If you freeze them, wait to add the powdered sugar until they are thawed.
What filling will you choose? I have to admit I love them all! Whichever you choose I hope you give this easy stuffed cookies recipe a try soon. Enjoy!
More Easy Cookie Recipes
Easy Stuffed Cookies
- 2 cups pastry/cake flour*
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ¾ cup + 2¼ tablespoons butter (room temperature) (200 grams total)
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
*You can make your own cake flour with all-purpose flour and cornstarch. For every cup of flour, remove two tablespoons and replace them with the same amount of cornstarch. Sift or whisk the mixture to combine.
- ½ cup Nutella/Jam/ Chocolate cream/Pastry cream
- 1-2 tablespoons powdered/icing sugar
The dough for these cookies can be made 3 ways, using your stand up mixer with the flat beaters, a food processor or even by hand.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt add the softened butter and mix, pulse or stir to form coarse crumbs.
- Add the egg and mix, pulse or stir until almost combined. Move the dough to a lightly floured flat surface and knead gently to form a compact dough ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Line 1-2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge. Roll the dough on a lightly floured flat surface to a 1/8" thickness, make 20 cut outs with a medium round cookie cutter (2½ inch).
- Fill half the circle with a teaspoon or so of your favorite filling, fold over the clean half and seal the edges well with your wet fingers and then again with the tongs of a fork.
- Place the cookies on the prepared cookie sheet. Refrigerate while the oven is pre-heating to 350F (180C) for about 15-20 minutes. Bake for approximately 13-15 minutes or golden. Let them cool on the cookie sheet for approximately 5 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely. When cooled dust with powdered/icing sugar before serving. Enjoy!