Homemade Cheddar Jalapeno Bread
Homemade Jalapeño Cheddar Bread is a delicious savory yeast bread that’s cheesy with a hint of heat from the peppers. This is a bread recipe that tastes amazing with just a pat of butter on top. Or serve slices with salads, soup, or make amazing sandwiches.
Jalapeño cheddar bread is a delicious bread to make when you want something savory. It’s great to snack on, share as an appetizer, or serve with salads and soup. For this recipe, I use a BIGA which is a common bread starter used by Italians. It gives the bread a wonderfully light and airy texture.
So, no, this is not like a cheddar quick bread recipe that doesn’t have yeast. It’s a yeast bread that does take time to make, but as long as you plan ahead there’s nothing complicated about it. An easy and quick bread is this Simple Skillet Cornbread if you’re looking for something fast to whip up.
When I make this bread, I like to make the BIGA the day before and then make and bake the bread loaf the next day. It really is easy this way and the first taste of fresh-baked jalapeño cheddar bread is so good.
It has two kinds of cheese – cheddar cheese and Parmesan – plus a little spice from the peppers. It’s a great savory bread recipe!
Table of Contents
- Lukewarm water
- Active dry yeast
- Whole-wheat flour
- Active dry yeast
- Bread flour
- Granulated sugar
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Chopped jalapeño peppers
Making the Biga
Pour the warm water into a bowl and sprinkle the yeast over the top. Leave it for five minutes and then add whole wheat flour and mix to combine.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it at room temperature for 10 to 16 hours.
Making the Dough
Pour the warm water in a standup mixer fitted with a dough hook. Sprinkle the yeast on the top and leave it for 5-10 to minutes, then stir to combine.
Add the bread flour, salt, sugar, and the biga that you already prepared. Knead the mixture with the dough hook for eight to ten minutes. Add the cheese and jalapeno and knead for one minute.
Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and shape it into a ball. Place it in a lightly greased bowl. Cover the bowl and leave the dough in a warm place to rise for one hour.
Take the dough out of the bowl and place it back on the floured surface and fold. Rest it for five minutes, then shape it into a loaf.
Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper and place the loaf on it. Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise for 45 to 60 minutes.
Dust the loaf with rice, all-purpose flour, or semolina flour. Score it and then bake it for 10 minutes at 420°F (215°C). Top it with the shredded cheese and then bake it for 10 minutes longer.
Transfer the bread to a wire rack and let it cool before slicing and serving.
I recommend using a sharp cheddar cheese or an aged white cheddar cheese. Both have a strong flavor that will make your bread delicious.
A stand mixer with a dough hook makes it very easy to knead the dough. You can knead bread dough by hand if you don’t have one, but it will take longer.
Use a thermometer to measure the temperature in the thickest part. It should be 190°F.
Be sure to allow the bread to cool fully before slicing it.
I like a slice of this bread with softened butter on top or you could also use cream cheese. It also makes great sandwiches or serve it with a delicious bowl of soup.
Keep the bread tightly wrapped at room temperature. It should stay fresh for up to two days.
I hope you find time to make this jalapeño cheddar bread. Whether you’re new to baking or have been making bread for years like me, it’s a great one to try.
More Yeast Bread Recipes
Homemade Cheddar Jalapeno Bread
- ⅓ cup + 2 tablespoons lukewarm water 80 grams + 2 tablespoons
- ¼ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup whole wheat flour 130 grams
- ⅔ cup lukewarm water 160 grams
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2¼ cups + 2 tablespoons bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded) divided 120 grams
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese 30 grams
- ¼-½ cup jalapeno peppers (chopped) 25 g – 50grams
- In a medium bowl add the water and sprinkle the yeast on top, let sit 5 minutes, stir then add the flour and mix to combine well. Cover with plastic and let sit at room temperature 10-16 hours.
- In the mixing bowl add the water, sprinkle the yeast on top, let sit 5-10 minutes, then stir to combine. Add the flour, salt, sugar and biga. Knead with the dough hook for 8-10 minutes then add half of the shredded cheese, all the parmesan and jalapeno, knead 1 minute to combine.
- Form the dough into a dough ball on a lightly floured flat surface, place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Move the dough to a lightly floured flat surface and fold, let rest 5 minutes, then shape into desired form. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and cover and let rise 45-60 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 420F (215C).
- Dust the dough with rice, all purpose or semolina flour, score and bake 20 minutes, halfway through the baking, top with the shredded cheese and continue to bake. Remove immediately to a wire rack to cool completely before serving. Enjoy.