Homemade chocolate spread that is easy to make and even easier to eat! This spread is made with just four simple ingredients, including melted dark chocolate. Perfect spread on toast, scones, muffins, or just enjoy it by the spoonful.
We love our different kinds of chocolate spreads, especially Nutella, but store-bought spreads are often made with lots of ingredients that aren’t so great. Luckily, it’s easy to make your own spreads at home, and often with just a few ingredients.
This easy chocolate spread is one of my favorites. Simple with just four ingredients and so rich and creamy. It’s a nut-free alternative to other spreads and it’s a lot like a homemade Nutella without the hazelnuts. But if you have some Nutella still in your cupboard why not make these delicious Soft Nutella Muffins?
Table of Contents
What is Chocolate Spread made of?
- Milk – I prefer 2% or whole milk. If you use whole milk, the spread will have a richer flavor.
- Dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate – use a good chocolate bar for this recipe and chop it into pieces. It will melt better than chocolate chips.
- Unsweetened cocoa – I like to sift it first to break up any clumps.
- Sweetened condensed milk – this is what makes the chocolate spread creamy.
How to Make Easy Chocolate Cream Spread
Heat the milk in a saucepan until it’s steaming hot (not boiling).
Add all of the chopped chocolate and stir until it melts into the milk.
Whisk in the cocoa powder. Once the mixture is smooth, add the sweetened condensed milk.
Cook the spread over low heat until it has thickened.
Transfer it to a sterilized jar and let it cool at room temperature. Once it’s cooled, store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
Properly stored in an airtight container it should keep well in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Besides scooping it by the spoonful from the jar, there a quite a few ways to use it. I love it as a spread for toasted bread, English muffins, scones, muffins and these quick and easy crescent rolls. You can also use it as a dip for fresh fruit like strawberries or bananas.
Learn how to make Nutella with hazelnuts if you want to try another delicious chocolate spread.
I hope you pick up the ingredients and give this easy spread recipe a try. It really is so easy to make and so much better than store-bought. You might find yourself making a batch every week. Somehow it always disappears!
More Chocolate Recipes
Easy Chocolate Cream Spread
- 2 tablespoons milk (whole or 2%)
- 1¾ ounces dark chocolate (semi sweet) chopped
- 2½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (sifted)
- ⅔ cup sweetened condensed milk
- Heat the milk until hot but not boiling, remove from the heat, add the chopped chocolate and mix until melted, add the unsweetened sifted cocoa, mix until smooth, add the sweetened condensed milk, place the pot over low heat, stir and cook (about 3-5 minutes) until mixture is firm. Place in a clean sterilized jar, let cool then use or refrigerate.