Simple Skillet Cornbread
Skillet Cornbread is a delicious homemade cornbread recipe that’s easy to make. It’s moist and delicious – perfect with just with a pat of warm butter for breakfast or serve it with your favorite soup, stew, and chili recipes.
Homemade cornbread is so easy to make you won’t need to buy the boxed mix the next time you get a craving for a slice. You only need a few ingredients and a cast-iron skillet to make the best cornbread ever.
With this skillet cornbread you don’t have to worry about it being too dry or flavorless either. It’s made with cream so it has a rich, moist flavor and texture. I also soak the cornmeal in the cream and milk so the corn flavor is infused into the liquid so the corn flavor is even better.
Even better is the crust – the skillet is heated in the oven before you add the batter. This creates a golden crust on the sides. It also cooks the cornbread evenly so the entire thing is moist and delicious. It really is the best skillet cornbread!
There’s nothing better than a warm slice of homemade cornbread with a pat of butter and maybe a drizzle of honey, but it also goes with many main dishes. We love it with soup, chili, and stew.
If you’ve been looking for a great cornbread recipe, this is for you. Once you try it, you won’t need to try other recipes – it’s a keeper.
Table of Contents
- Whipping cream or heavy cream
- Whole milk
- Large eggs
- Room temperature unsalted butter
- Baking powder
How to Make Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread
Preheat the oven to 450° F (230° C). Place an 8-inch cast-iron pan in the oven while it’s preheating.
Soak the cornmeal in milk and cream for 20 minutes.
In a small bowl beat the eggs, then add 4 tablespoons of butter and combine.
Whisk the egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture. Sprinkle baking powder and salt over the batter and then stir to combine.
Remove the hot skillet from the oven and carefully add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet so it can melt. Coat the pan well with the butter as it melts and then pour the batter into the skillet.
Bake the cornbread for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Cool the cornbread for 10 minutes before slicing into wedges for serving.
I don’t have a cast iron skillet. What other pan can I use?
If you don’t have a cast iron pan, you can use a ceramic baking dish, metal baking pan, or a glass baking dish. Don’t preheat them, just grease them with butter and then pour the batter in. The cornbread will take longer to bake so adjust the baking time as needed.
Why is my cornbread dry?
Did you use whole milk and whipping cream? Full-fat milk and cream adds flavor and moisture. If you use nonfat milk, your bread could be dry.
Also, don’t overbake the cornbread. Test it early with a toothpick. As soon as it comes out clean, the cornbread is done.
How to store skillet cornbread?
It will keep for a day or two at room temperature. Keep it tightly wrapped so it doesn’t dry out. You can also freeze cornbread for several months.
Make this skillet cornbread recipe the next time you want a slice of warm cornbread to go with breakfast, lunch, or dinner! It’s so easy and turns out amazing every time. Enjoy!
More Easy Recipes
Simple Skillet Cornbread
- 1 Iron Skillet
- 2 ½ cups Cornmeal
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450° F (230° C). Place an 8 inch iron skillet in the oven while it's preheating.
- Soak the cornmeal in milk and cream for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl beat the eggs, then add 4 tablespoons and combine.
- Whisk the egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture. Sprinkle baking powder and salt over the batter and combine together.
- Remove the pan from the oven and carefully add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet. Coat the pan well and then add the cornmeal mixture.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes, cut into wedges and enjoy.