There is no better way to bring in the Holidays then with this moist and delicious Cranberry Almond Bread. This quick bread is made in minutes and believe me it will be gone in about the same time! Serve it plain or with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Table of Contents
- All purpose Flour
- Brown Sugar – It makes the bread extra moist thanks to the molasses. It also gives the bread a golden colour and a deeper flavor.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Sour Milk – It acts as a leavening agent and gives more flavor to the bread. To make sour milk at home simply take 1 cup of milk and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar. Stir it and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Butter – This recipe calls for melted butter, which makes the bread soft and dense.
- Dried Cranberries – The main ingredients in the recipe alongside the almonds. To rehydrate the dried cranberries, place them in a medium bowl and cover them with boiling water. Let them sit for 15-20 minutes and drain them before using.
Why use room temperature ingredients?
With cakes and other baked goods, it’s always better to use room temperature ingredients. So, take any cold ingredients out of the refrigerator an hour ahead of time or sooner if it’s cool in your kitchen. Room temperature ingredients blend easier, creating a silky batter, which will help to create a light tender baked good.
How to make Cranberry Almond Bread
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the middle and add the beaten eggs, sour milk, melted butter, vanilla, cranberries and almonds. Stir just to combine, 15-16 stirs only.
Spoon the batter into the prepared cake or loaf pan and bake for approximately 50-60 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick.
Let cool in the pan then remove to a clean plate. Drizzle with glaze or dust with powdered sugar.
What does stir just until moistened mean?
Mix just until moistened means to combine the dry ingredients and the liquid ingredients just until the dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened but the mixture is still slightly lumpy. I stir 15-16 times only and it always turns out perfect.
Can I make muffins instead of a loaf?
Yes you can, I would probably bake for about 20-25 minutes, more or less, start to check after 20 minutes.
How to store it
Wrap the completely cooled bread well in plastic wrap, it will keep for up to 2-3 days at room temperature or up to 7 days in the fridge.
How to freeze the Cranberry Almond Bread
Wrap the completely cooled bread in plastic wrap and place in a freezer safe bread. If you freeze it glazed, let the glaze harden before wrapping. It will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer.
More Quick Breads Recipes
Cranberry Almond Bread
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt*
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1½ cups sour milk**
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup dried cranberries***
- ½ cup finely chopped almonds
*If you use unsalted butter then add ¼ teaspoon of salt.
**To the 1 1/2 cups of milk add 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice, let sit 20 minutes before using. Stir to combine.
***In a medium bowl add the dried cranberries, cover with boiling water and let sit 15-20 minutes. Drain well before using.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour a 9 – 10 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the middle and add the beaten eggs, sour milk, melted butter, vanilla, cranberries and almonds. Stir just to combine, 15-16 stirs only.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cake or loaf pan and bake for approximately 50-60 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick.
- Let cool in the pan then remove to a clean plate. Drizzle with glaze or dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!