Is there a better combination than cinnamon and apple for Fall? Together they make for the perfect cozy sweater weather atmosphere. This Cinnamon Apple Bread is packed with chunks of apples, the addition of cinnamon and a sprinkle of granulated sugar makes this a great loaf recipe!
This is the perfect time to enjoy all those Winter fruits that we love, such as oranges, apples, cranberries and more, but an even better way to enjoy them is to add them to a quick bread! And some of my favorite loafs are the Fall ones, such as this Orange Quick Bread, Cranberry Almond Bread, Pecan Cinnamon Bread and Easy Pumpkin Bread.
This quick bread recipe is perfect on its own, it doesn’t really need a frosting or glaze on top since it’s already packed with so much flavor thanks to the cinnamon and the apple chunks, but adding some granulated sugar on top of the bread before baking it in the oven will give it a nice golden crust and some welcomed sweetness.
If you don’t want to add the sugar you can sprinkle the bread with some powder sugar when it’s completely cool.
Table of Contents
- Cinnamon – One of the two main ingredients in this recipe. Cinnamon is my favorite spice to use in baked goods for the flavor it adds.
- All Purpose Flour – It’s the best flour to use for quick breads since it has a lower protein content than bread flour and more than cake flour. It makes it ideal for baking quick breads and cookies.
- Baking Powder – The leavening agent of choice for this recipe. It helps the bread rise while baking.
- Vegetable Oil – This recipe calls for oil instead of butter. The oil is the fat content of choice and helps the bread stay moist.
- Granulated Sugar – It keeps the loaf soft and moist and sprinkling it on top of the bread before baking will also give it a nice golden color when ready.
- Eggs – They help with the rising and tenderizing of the bread, plus they add flavor and color to the loaf.
- Vanilla Extract
- Apple – The Other main ingredient in this recipe. They add flavor, color and nutritional value to the bread. It’s one of the most common fruits used to bake with and it’s also a natural source of sweetness.
What are the best apples for baking?
You are going to want an apple that doesn’t become mushy while baking, these are the perfect choice. Northern Spy, Jonagold, Pink Lady, Gala, Granny Smith, Honey Crisp, and Golden Delicious apples. I usually reach for Gala apples. But I love using Granny Smith apples when I make this delicious Cinnamon Apple Baked Oatmeal.
How to Make Cinnamon Apple Bread
In a medium bowl whisk together the cinnamon, flour, baking powder and salt.
In another medium bowl beat together the vegetable oil and sugar for about 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well. Add vanilla and beat again.
Add the dry ingredients and stir just to combine then fold in the apple pieces.
Transfer the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle some granulated sugar on top. Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
When ready, let it cool for about 10 minutes in the loaf pan and then transfer to a cooling rack to let cool completely.
What are the 5 Main Ingredients in Quick Breads?
There are five basic ingredients that are almost always used together to make a quick bread. They are:
- Flour – Usually all purpose flour since it has a good amount of protein, but not enough to create a stronger bread because of gluten development.
- Leavening Agent – Baking powder and baking soda are the ones usually used. Sometimes together and sometimes on their own. They help the bread rise and create that dome shape on top typical of quick breads.
- Eggs – Give the bread colour and contributes to volume and texture.
- Fat – Usually either butter or oil. Makes for a nice moist bread.
- Liquid – Milk or water are usually used in quick breads recipes . They moisten the mixture, help activate the gluten and dissolve the sugar.
Why are They Called Quick Breads?
Quick breads get their name because they are fairly quick to make compared to a yeast bread. Their texture is also denser than a cake or a muffin, but they’re still moist and with much less gluten development than a typical bread.
How to store an Apple Bread
Let the bread cool completely then place in an airtight container or wrap tightly in plastic wrap, keep at room temperature for a day or two, any longer and it should be refrigerated. It will keep up to 4-5 days in the fridge.
How to freeze it
Let the bread cool completely before freezing. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then place in an airtight freezer bag. The bread will keep for up to two months. Thaw the bread overnight in the fridge or on the counter top.
And now, go light a scented candle, make a nice warm tea and get under that soft blanket while you enjoy a bite of this bread plus your favorite tv show!
More Quick Breads Recipes
Cinnamon Apple Bread
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅔ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 apple – chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour a 9 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the cinnamon, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another medium bowl beat together the vegetable oil and sugar for about 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well. Add vanilla and beat again. Add the dry ingredients and stir just to combine then fold in the apple pieces.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle some granulated sugar on top. Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- When ready, let it cool for about 10 minutes in the loaf pan and then transfer to a cooling rack to let cool completely. Enjoy!