A breakfast of Champions cannot be called such if it doesn’t include this delicious Chocolate Chip Bread! Full of chocolate chips and with the addition of yogurt, it’s perfectly moist, delicate and rich.
The crumb topping gives it the crunch you need to counterbalance the softness of the loaf, and if you’re like me and you love a good crunchy top, then you will love this Strawberry Bread and this Blueberry Bread.
An easy and quick bread recipe to whip up whenever you feel like having something sweet. I love accompanying my slice of bread with a warm cup of coffee in the morning and a cup of tea in the afternoon.
Table of Contents
- All Purpose Flour – All purpose flour is preferred. Use the spoon and level measuring method to ensure accuracy.
- Granulated Sugar – White granulated will add sweetness to the bread, don’t use brown sugar it will add too much moisture and this is an already moist bread.
- Baking Soda – For leavening and rise, make sure it is not expired.
- Baking Powder – Like baking soda it’s a leavening agent and helps the bread rise during the baking process.
- Chocolate Chips – The main ingredient in this quick bread recipe and a source of sweetness.
- Egg – Binds ingredients together and gives structure to the loaf.
- Yogurt – Makes the bread moister and adds sweetness.
- Milk – I recommend using either 2% or whole milk.
- Vegetable Oil – This recipe calls for oil instead of butter. The oil is the fat content of choice and helps the bread stay moist.
- Vanilla Extract
How to Make Chocolate Chip Bread
In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, flour and butter. Set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix in the chocolate chips.
In a medium bowl beat together the egg, yogurt, milk, vanilla and oil with a whisk until well combined.
Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir just until combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, sprinkle with the topping and bake for approximately 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
What Method is Used to Prepare Quick Breads?
Quick breads are usually prepared using three different methods.
- Blending – The dry ingredients are combined in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another and then the dry are mixed in the wet to create the batter.
- Creaming – The fat (usually butter or oil) and sugar are beaten together to create an airy and light mixture. The eggs are then added and finally the dry ingredients are folded in to create the batter. This method is usually used to make muffins as well.
- Biscuit Method – The dry ingredients are sifted together, and then the fat get added to the mix to create a coarse mixture. The dry mix gets added to the wet mix and folded in to create a dense batter which will create a denser, but still flaky consistency.
The method used determines what kind of texture and crumb the bread will have after baking.
Why add baking soda?
Baking soda is used to neutralize the acids in a recipe and to add tenderness and a little leavening. Recipes that include anything acidic such as yogurt, sour cream, buttermilk and brown sugar to name a few. When baking soda is combined with an acid and a liquid it starts to work, therefore be sure to bake it immediately and don’t leave it to sit.
Can You make Mini Loaves?
Yes, you can definitely make mini chocolate chip loaves! Follow the recipe instructions and then pour the batter into two 6 inch loaf pans instead of a 9 inch pan.
Mini loaves are the perfect Holiday gift. Wrap them in festive wrap paper or clear paper and top them with a bow to give them that perfect merry touch.
How to Make the Crumb Topping
In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, all purpose flour and butter cut in pieces. Mix them together until you get a crumb texture.
How to Store and Freeze Chocolate Chip Bread
This Chocolate Chip loaf can be stored at room temperature. Let the bread cool completely then place it in an airtight container or wrap tightly in plastic wrap. It will last for about 2-3 days, any longer and it should be refrigerated. It will keep up to 4-5 days in the fridge.
Let the bread cool completely before freezing. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then place in an airtight freezer bag. The bread will keep for up to two months. Thaw the bread overnight in the fridge or on the counter top.
More Quick Bread Recipes
Chocolate Chip Bread
For the Batter
- 1½ cups All purpose flour
- ½ cup Granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoons Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- ½ cup Chocolate chips
- 1 large Egg(room temperature)
- ½ cup Yogurt (plain)
- ⅓ cup Milk (room temperature – 2%)
- ⅓ cup Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
For the Topping
- ¼ cup Brown sugar (packed)
- 1½ tablespoons All purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Butter (soft)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F (180C). Grease and flour a 9 inch loaf pan.
For the Topping
- In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, flour and butter. Set aside.
For the Batter
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- In a medium bowl beat together the egg, yogurt, milk, vanilla and oil with a whisk until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, sprinkle with the topping and bake for approximately 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- When ready, let the bread cool in the pan for about 10 minutes then transfer onto a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.