Nutella Muffins are soft, moist and the best breakfast treat or afternoon snack! These muffins are swirled with Nutella and have a Nutella center so every bite is full of chocolate and hazelnut flavor.
I can’t think of any better way to start the day than with Nutella! So, I came up with these Nutella muffins as the perfect excuse to get your Nutella fix first thing.
These muffins are swirled and filled with the chocolate hazelnut spread. The batter is so easy to make and creating the swirl is super easy, too.
The muffins also have the best soft texture. They’re made with all-purpose flour and cornstarch – the cornstarch softens the protein in the flour creating a soft crumb. You don’t need to worry about dry and tough muffins with this recipe.
They’re a special treat for breakfast, brunch, or as an afternoon snack with a cappuccino or latte. If you’re a Nutella fan, you have to try them!
Table of Contents
- All-purpose flour
- 2% Greek yogurt at room temperature
- Large egg
- Granulated sugar
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Nutella – you will need Nutella that is cold and Nutella that is warmed up. The cold Nutella is used for the center of the muffins and the warmed-up Nutella is used to create the swirl.
How to Make Nutella Muffins
Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cornstarch in a mixing bowl.
In a separate large mixing bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, salt and vanilla with an electric mixer. Beat until the mixture is light and fluffy about five minutes. With the mixer running, stir in the oil until well combined.
Adjust the mixer speed to low and add two tablespoons of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Mix in the yogurt and then add the rest of the dry ingredients while mixing at low speed until the mixture is smooth.
Fill each muffin mold halfway with batter. Add a 1/2 teaspoon of warm Nutella to each one and use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter. Place one teaspoon of cold Nutella in the batter and then spoon more muffin batter over the top. Add more warm Nutella and swirl it with a toothpick.
Place the muffin pan in the oven and bake the Nutella muffins for 15 to 20 minutes at 350°F. Let them cool for about 15 minutes on a wire rack before serving them.
How do you Know when Muffins are done?
There are a few ways to check to see if your muffins are ready. You can tap on the top of the muffins and if they spring back then it mean they are ready. Or you can insert a toothpick inside a muffin and if it comes out clean then they’re ready to be taken out of the oven.
Tips for the Best Nutella Muffins
Use room temperature ingredients including the yogurt and eggs. Room temperature ingredients mix better for the best batter.
For the warm Nutella, you can warm it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so to get the perfect consistency for that delicious swirl of Nutella.
For the cold Nutella, place it in the refrigerator until firm.
How to Store Them
Once the muffins are cooled, store them in an airtight container at room temperature. They will keep for several days.
You can freeze them, too, for up to two months. Store them in a freezer bag or container. You can thaw them all at once at room temperature or one at a time whenever you get a Nutella craving!
If you love Nutella like I do, you will love these easy Nutella muffins! They have the best texture and who doesn’t love something made with Nutella? Enjoy!
More Breakfast Treats
- ½ cup All purpose flour
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt (2% fat at room temperature)
- 1 egg
- 1 Egg yolk
- ⅓ cups Granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 5 teaspoons Nutella (cold and firm)
- 5 teaspoons Nutella (warm for swirling)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C) and either use liners or grease and flour a muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cornstarch.
- In another medium bowl beat the sugar, eggs, salt and vanilla together for about 5 minutes or until the mixture is light and fluffy. Keep beating and add the vegetable oil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the flour mix to the wet mix and beat on low speed, then add the greek yogurt slowly and keep beating. Add the rest of the flour and keep beating on low speed until the mix looks smooth.
- Fill the muffin tins half way and add half a teaspoon of warm Nutella and swirl it in the batter with a toothpick. Place 1 teaspoon of cold Nutella in the middle of the batter and cover it with more batter to fill up the muffin tin. Add another half teaspoon of Nutella and swirl it again with a toothpick.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let them cool for about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!