Flavorful homemade carrot bread is loaded with cinnamon, nutmeg, carrots and nuts! Similar to carrot cake but easier to make, this sweet loaf is perfect for brunch or dessert.
Cake-inspired homemade carrot bread is moist, sweet and delicious! It’s easy to make, tasty to eat, and topped with a sweet vanilla glaze it can be both a morning treat or dessert.
Although, topped with cream cheese frosting it would be quite perfect for an Easter brunch!
No matter when it’s served, it will be one of your new favorite recipes for breakfast as it can be stored at room temperature for up to a week.
Table of Contents
Here are some of the main ingredients you will need for this carrot quick bread recipe. See recipe card below for the full list!
- Dry ingredients: Typical of quick breads, you will need all purpose flour with baking soda and baking powder to give it rise.
Spices: You will need both cinnamon and nutmeg. Pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice could be used in a pinch.
- Carrots: Grated for best texture. Use the coarse side of your cheese grater to grate them.
- Chopped nuts: Walnuts are classic, but pecans, pistachios or almonds would be great as well!
- Glaze: A simple vanilla glaze with powdered sugar and cream adds a special touch to this quick bread! For a more decadent option use cream cheese frosting.
How to Make Carrot Bread
Here is an overview of how to make this delicious homemade carrot bread recipe! To start, you will want to prep a 9 inch loaf pan with grease and flour for baking. Optionally, line it with parchment paper.
Whisk dry ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
Cream oil and sugars: In a stand mixer, on medium speed beat oil and both sugars for about 2 minutes, add the eggs and beat.
Add the shredded carrots and beat to combine. Stir in the nuts.
Combine: Add the dry ingredients and stir just to combine (approximately 15-16 stirs). Do not over mix.
Bake then glaze: Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for approximately 40-50 minutes. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over the bread. Enjoy!
Helpful Kitchen Tips
- Avoid over baking the bread: To easily tell when your bread is ready, insert a toothpick into the center about 10 minutes before your timer goes off. If it is clean when removed, your bread is done.
- Do not over mix: Stir batter only 15-16 times or until just combined so your bread turns out moist with a tender crumb.
- Plan ahead: Your eggs need to be at room temperature for this carrot loaf.
- Completely cool: Both before glazing and slicing, otherwise your glaze will just drip off and your bread may fall apart.
- Toast nuts: Quickly toast nuts in a sauté pan before adding them to the batter. They will add an additional layer of flavor!
What is the best way to grate carrots?
You can grate carrots using a box grater (cheese grater), mandoline or food processor.
Is this recipe a bread or cake?
While this may seem cake-like with flour, both white and brown sugar, oil, and eggs, it is actually a quick bread and has a loaf shape from being baked in a loaf pan. The beauty of this quick bread is that you can optionally use the cream cheese frosting and serve it for dessert!
Can I use applesauce instead of oil?
While that has not been tested, it may work. To start, I would replace half the oil with applesauce to see how it tastes and if you like the texture.
Storage and Freezing Instructions
Store: This quick bread can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week. Place a slice of regular bread into the container to absorb any excess moisture.
Freeze: Freeze carrot loaf by wrapping it in plastic wrap and then in foil to prevent freezer burn. Freeze for up to 3 months. You can also freeze individual slices so you can enjoy a single slice anytime you would like!
This Carrot Bread is so soft and moist it will remind you of carrot cake! And if you want to see our complete collection of quick breads, then search no further! This is quick breads recipe Heaven!
More Quick Bread Recipes
Homemade Carrot Bread
FOR THE BREAD
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup +2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 1⅓ cups grated carrots
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped nuts
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons cream (any type)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour a 9 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a large bowl beat the oil and sugars about 2 minutes on medium speed, add the eggs and beat, add the shredded carrots and beat to combine. Stir in the nuts. Add the dry ingredients and stir just to combine (approximately 15-16 stirs) do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for approximately 40-50 minutes. Cool in the pan 20 minutes, remove the bread from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely before glazing. Enjoy!
- In a medium bowl mix together the powdered sugar and cream. Add more or less cream depending on the desired thickness.