This Apple Baked Oatmeal is a delicious and healthy breakfast that will make you want to go back for seconds. It’s filling and satisfying. Add a splash of milk to it for some extra creaminess. After trying this Apple Baked Oatmeal you won’t want to have anything else for breakfast!
Cinnamon is a perfect spice to add to this recipe and you will want to use crisp and sour apples. But if you’re like me and you love peaches and cream then this Easy Peach Baked Oatmeal recipe might be just what you were looking for!
Table of Contents
- Oats – rolled oats
- Cinnamon – ground cinnamon
- Baking Powder
- Maple Syrup – pure maple syrup is the best or you can substitute with honey
- Eggs – large room temperature
- Milk – Any kind of milk you prefer, I used lactose free milk
- Butter – melted and cooled or coconut oil
- Apples – Granny Smith apples (chopped)
- Walnuts – chopped
Is Baked Oatmeal Healthy?
Yes, oats are rich in fibre and great for lowering cholesterol. Using maple syrup also provides additional vitamin B.
How to make it
In a large bowl add the oats, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, maple syrup, egg, milk and butter and stir everything together until combined.
Fold in the apples and the walnuts.
Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking dish and top it with a few chopped walnuts.
Bake in a pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes until the centre is set.
Is it Better to Eat Cooked or Raw Oats?
There’s little to no difference between the two ways. Cooking the oats doesn’t take much away from them which means they still have the same nutritional value. Cooked oats are easier to digest than raw oats. They will be even easier to digest if you soak them overnight before cooking them.
What are the best flavor combinations for Fall?
- Apples + cinnamon
- Blueberries + almonds
- Bananas + peanut butter
- Cranberries + maple syrup
- Pumpkin + pumpkin spice
What other nuts can I use?
I like walnuts but you could substitute with hazelnuts, almonds or even pecans.
How to store it
This Cinnamon Apple Baked Oatmeal is a perfect dish to make on a Sunday and enjoy during the week. Place the oatmeal into an airtight container and refrigerate. It will keep for 3-4 days.
How freeze it?
Make sure to cool the baked oatmeal completely, then place in a freezer safe container. It will keep for up to 3 months.
Reheat it in the oven and pour some maple syrup on top or serve it cold with a splash of milk or some yogurt. You can’t go wrong with this one!
Cinnamon Apple Baked Oatmeal
- 1½ cups Rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 4 tablespoons Maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 large Egg
- 1¾ cups Milk (your choice of milk)
- ¼ cup Butter (melted and cooled or coconut oil)
- 1 Apple (Granny Smith apple chopped)
- ½ cup Walnuts (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Walnuts (chopped)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F (180C) and grease or spray a 9" baking dish.
- In a large bowl add the oats, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, maple syrup or honey, egg, milk and butter or coconut oil and stir everything together until combined. Fold in the chopped apple and walnuts.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and top it with a few chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the centre is set. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!