Sweet, moist, and delicious, quick apple pie bread is loaded with fresh apples with the best cinnamon streusel topping! All the flavors of Fall, but easier to make than apple pie.
Apples, cinnamon and a delicious streusel topping make this quick apple pie bread the stuff that dreams are made of!
This simple homemade apple bread contains chunks of juicy apples, cinnamon sugar, and almost tastes like cake but in sweet bread form! This just means you can eat it for breakfast, snack, or dessert.
Get ready for some heavenly scents to fill your kitchen because this mouthwatering apple cinnamon bread recipe is about to become your new favorite fall treat!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love This Apple Bread
- Warm spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice not only give this bread an amazing aroma while baking, but are full of cozy flavors.
- Chopped apples: Instead of shredding apples, this bread recipe uses chopped apples for amazing texture.
- Breakfast or snack: A slice of easy apple bread makes a delicious breakfast on the go, lunchbox snack, or even use it to make french toast for a weekend brunch.
- Dessert: Warm up a piece and top with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, delicious!
Ingredients and Notes for Apple Pie Bread
This cinnamon bread with chopped apples is moist and tender, spicy and sweet, and so simple to make with ingredients you may already have on hand!
- Granulated sugar: Adds sweet taste to your quick bread.
- Greek yogurt: Adds moisture to the bread, you might be able to use regular yogurt but it will either need to be strained or additional flour added to compensate for the extra liquid.
- Eggs: Two large eggs bind your ingredients together.
- Applesauce: Either unsweetened or sweetened. Sweetened applesauce will make for an extra sweet bread.
- Vanilla: Pure vanilla extract for best taste.
- Vegetable oil: Enhances the soft texture of this bread. Olive oil or butter might work but it has not been tested.
- All purpose flour: Only all purpose flour can be used for this bread.
- Baking soda: A leavening agent necessary for this quick bread.
- Warm spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. You could substitute apple pie spice.
- Salt: Enhances taste.
- Apples: These are best peeled and chopped. Any tart, firm, or crisp apple can be used.
- Nuts: Walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts all are great here!
- Brown sugar: For the topping, you can use light brown sugar or dark.
- Cinnamon: Additional cinnamon for the cinnamon sugar streusel topping.
How to Make Apple Pie Bread
A few quick steps and your homemade sweet bread with apples is ready to bake! To start, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, grease a 9-inch loaf pan, and chop your apples.
Wet ingredients: In a large bowl whisk together your granulated sugar, yogurt and eggs until combined. Next, add your applesauce, vanilla and 6 tablespoons of the oil. Stir to combine and set aside.
Dry ingredients: In another medium sized bowl stir together 1 ¾ cups of flour, baking soda, spices and salt until all the lumps are gone. Fold in your chopped apples.
Combine ingredients: Gently fold flour mixture into your bowl of wet ingredients. Stir just until combined then spoon into your previously prepared pan.
Make streusel topping: Stir together nuts, remaining 1 tablespoon, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon then sprinkle evenly over batter.
Bake and cool: Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove apple bread from the loaf pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Enjoy!
Variations for Quick Apple Pie Bread
- Layered: Make some extra streusel topping, place half your batter in a loaf pan, layer with streusel, then place remaining batter before adding the rest of your streusel. So good!
- Applesauce substitute: You could try leftover cranberry sauce, pumpkin, or even mashed bananas.
- Cinnamon sugar: Instead of a streusel topping, simplify this even more with just some cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top.
- Apple pie spice: Substitute your cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice for an apple pie spice blend.
Quick Bread Tips
- Use the correct size loaf pan: So your quick bread has enough room to expand while baking.
- Don’t overmix your batter: Only mix your ingredients until combined, otherwise you risk your bread turning out dense.
- Don’t open the oven door: It will let in cool air and could lead to your bread collapsing or not getting done in the middle.
- Browning too quickly: If the top of your bread is browning too quickly before it is done baking, tent the top with foil to prevent burning.
- Cool completely: Allow your bread to cool completely before slicing, otherwise you risk it falling apart.
How to Store
Store: You can store this bread at room temperature for 2 days, but because the apples are moist, if you have any left after that I would store the bread in the refrigerator to prevent it going bad.
Freeze: Wrap bread tightly first in plastic wrap, then foil and place in a freezer safe bag for up to 3 months. Thaw and enjoy!
Can I make this into mini loaves?
Yes! That would be great for gifting during any fall or winter holiday! I would bake for 25 minutes, then check and continue baking for an additional 5-10 minutes until done. You should be able to get 2-3 loaves.
Why did my bread fall in the middle?
This usually happens if you did not bake it long enough. Quick breads will get done first around the edges then the center will bake last. Use a toothpick test to ensure it is done before removing it from the oven.
Does this apple bread need to be refrigerated?
You can store this bread in a cool dry place for a few days, then move to the refrigerator for longer storage.
What is the best apple to use?
Feel free to use your favorite apples in this quick bread similar to many apple dessert recipes! Some recommendations would be an apple variety that is tart yet sweet like Gala, Granny Smith or even Golden Delicious.
More Quick Bread Recipes
Quick Apple Pie Bread
- ⅔ cups Granulated sugar
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 large Eggs
- ⅔ cups Applesauce
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 7 tablespoons Vegetable oil – divided
- 1¾ cups + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour – divided
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Allspice
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup apples – chopped
- 1 cup nuts – chopped (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts)
- ¼ cup Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C) and grease a 9 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl stir together sugar, yogurt and eggs until combined. Add applesauce, vanilla and 6 tablespoons of oil. Stir just until combined and set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together 1 ¾ cups of flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Fold in the apples.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture, stir well then spoon into the prepared pan.
- Stir together nuts, remaining 1 tablespoon, remaining 1 tablespoon flour, brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove it from the loaf pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Enjoy!