You only need five ingredients for this Easy Bread Recipe! It’s perfect for sandwiches, toast, or serve it alongside a bowl of soup, stew, or a salad. It’s the best everyday bread recipe that will be your new favorite.
There are complicated bread recipes and there is this easy bread recipe – so easy you only need five ingredients and a little time to make it. Whether you’ve been making homemade bread for years or have never made a loaf, you are going to love this recipe.
Table of Contents
Easy Homemade Bread
The best part about this bread is that you might already have the ingredients on hand. Okay, maybe not the yeast if you don’t bake often, but once you try it you’ll keep dry active yeast in the pantry so you can make it whenever you want.
This is white bread that has a soft texture on the inside with a lightly chewy golden crust – perfect with butter and jam or for dunking in a bowl of soup.
The flavor of the bread goes with practically everything – use it as a sandwich bread or toast the slices for breakfast. Or, just enjoy a plain piece – it’s delicious.
A stand mixer makes it even easier to make, but if you don’t have one you can mix and knead the dough by hand. It just takes a little longer.
There is nothing better than the aroma of fresh bread baking in the oven. This easy bread is worth the little time and effort to make it.
- All-purpose flour or bread flour
- Lukewarm water
- Olive oil
- Active dry yeast
How to make Homemade Bread
Place the flour in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the water, oil, yeast, and salt.
Stir the mixture at low speed and then increase the speed to knead it until the dough is well combined. Transfer it to a work surface and knead it a few times by hand.
Fold the dough to form it into a tight dough ball and place it in a lightly oiled large bowl. Turn the ball to coat it in the oil and then cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm draft-free area for one hour.
Deflate the dough by folding it a few times over itself in the bowl and then move it to your work surface. Fold it in all directions.
Divide the bread dough into two equal-sized circles or 1 large circle and 3 small (this is what I did) and then roll each up. Pinch the seams closed and then roll the loaves a few times to flatten the seams.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the loaves on it. Cover them and let them rise for 30 to 60 minutes.
Score the tops of the loaves and spritz them with water. Bake the bread at 400°F for about 30 minutes or until it’s golden brown and baked through.
Bread Making Tips
If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can mix the dough ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon and then turn the dough out and knead it on a lightly floured work surface. It will take a little longer this way.
Instead of making two loaves you can make buns or make a loaf and use the other half to make bread buns.
You can store it at room temperature for 3-4 days – just keep it wrapped. Or, you can store it in the freezer to thaw later.
This is just the best homemade bread recipe for beginners and experienced bakers! Sometimes simple is better, don’t you think? With this easy bread you’ll find all kinds of ways to use it, you’ll want to make a loaf every week! Enjoy!
More Homemade Bread Recipes
- Traditional Focaccia
- Homemade Overnight Bread
- Rosemary Fougasse Recipe
- Pizza Babka
- No-Knead Bread Recipe
- Refrigerator Dough Cheese Bread Recipe
Easy Everyday Bread
- 2¼ cups flour (all purpose or bread)
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon lukewarm water (total 185 grams)
- 1¼ tablespoons olive oil
- 1¼ teaspoon active dry yeast
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- In the stand up mixing bowl add the flour, make a well in the middle and add the water, oil, yeast and salt.
- Start to knead on low speed, then increase to #2 speed until combined, 6-7 minutes. Move the dough to a flat surface and knead a few times, then fold to form a compact dough ball.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning the dough to cover in oil, cover the bowl with a clean tea towel or plastic, place in a warm draft free area and let rise 1 hour.
- Fold the dough while still in the bowl (to deflate it), move the dough to a flat surface and fold in all directions. Divide the dough in 2 parts*. Shape each part into a circle (6-8 inches) with your hand and then roll up the circle with the seam side up and pinch the edges to close the dough, roll the dough back and forth a few times to flatten the edges. Repeat with the 2nd loaf or buns.
- Place the loaves on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Cover with a tea towel, place in a warm draft free area and let rise 30-60 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 400F (200C).
- Score the bread and spray with water. Bake for approximately 30 minutes.