Vanilla Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
Vanilla Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies are soft and chewy cookies with a chocolate kiss in the centre. You can also fill the cookies with chocolate cream, ganache, and other fillings that you like. They’re easy to make and customize to make your own special thumbprint cookie.
Thumbprint cookies are always fun to make because the combinations are endless. Classic thumbprints are filled with jam, but this recipe combines chocolate and vanilla with a Hershey Kiss as the filling.
You might be surprised how easy they are to make. You only need simple ingredients to make the dough and there’s no waiting because it doesn’t require chilling. So, you can make a batch and have fresh baked chocolate thumbprint cookies in less than an hour.
Table of Contents
- All-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- Softened butter
- Granulated sugar
- Large eggs – separate the eggs from the whites in two separate small bowls.
- Vanilla Extract
- Unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa
- Hershey Kisses – I also share more filling ideas later in the post!
Whisk the flour and salt in a medium bowl and set the mixture aside.
In a large bowl with an electric mixer (or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment), beat the butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and vanilla and beat until just combined.
Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a wooden spoon until the dough forms and the flour is absorbed. Roll the cookie dough into 1-inch balls.
Place the cocoa powder in a small bowl. Roll the dough balls in the egg whites and then roll them in the cocoa powder. Place them on the prepared baking sheet spaced about 1″ apart.
Use your thumb to make an indentation in the centre of each ball. Bake the cookies for about seven minutes and then check to see if the centre of the cookies (where you made the indent) are puffed up. If they have, use the end of a wooden spoon to gently press them down so you have the indent again. Finish baking them for another seven to eight minutes.
Let the cookies cool for two minutes and then place an unwrapped chocolate kiss in the center. If you use a different kind of filling, wait for the cookies to cool completely on a wire rack before filling.
Other Filling Ideas
There are all kinds of different Hershey Kisses so feel free to choose a flavor you like that will go with the chocolate and vanilla.
Instead of a chocolate kiss, try using a chocolate caramel candy like Rolos.
You can also use a filling like chocolate ganache or my chocolate cream spread. Just wait for the cookies to cool completely before adding the filling.
Or, stick to the classic and fill your cookies with jam – strawberry or raspberry jam would pair well with the chocolate and vanilla.
Room Temperature Storage: These vanilla chocolate thumbprint cookies are great for cookie swaps or dessert platters because they keep well. Store them in an airtight container and they will keep for up to one week at room temperature.
How to Freeze Baked Cookies: The baked cookies can also be frozen in a freezer-safe bag or container. I like to place parchment paper between the layers so the cookies don’t stick together. They will keep in the freezer for up to three months.
How to Freeze Unbaked Cookies: The unbaked cookie dough balls can also be frozen for up to three months. Freeze the balls first on a cookie sheet then transfer them to a freezer-safe container. You can bake them straight from the freezer, but they will take a bit longer to bake.
These vanilla chocolate thumbprint cookies are soft and chewy – a delicious cookie recipe! I love them with Hershey Kisses because there’s never too much chocolate. However you decide to fill them, I know you’ll love them. Enjoy!
More Recipes You Might Like
Vanilla Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt*
- ¾ cup butter (softened)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (separated) (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup unsweetened dutch processed cocoa
*If using unsalted butter then add ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° (180° celsius). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together, flour and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl beat at medium speed, butter and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 2 minutes, add the egg yolks and vanilla, beat until just combined. Stir in flour mixture with a wooden spoon or flat beaters until combined.
- Roll dough into approximate 1 inch balls (2.5 cm). If dough is very soft refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place egg whites in a small bowl and cocoa in another bowl. First roll balls in egg whites and then in cocoa, place on prepared cookie sheets about one inch apart. Gently make an indentation with your thumb or end of a wooden spoon in every ball. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, at the halfway point check to see if the centres have puffed up, if yes, then using the end of a wooden spoon gently indent again. Remove from the oven, cool for 2 minutes, place one unwrapped kiss of choice in the middle or let cool completely and fill with Chocolate Cream Spread or filling of choice. Enjoy!