No better way to celebrate strawberry season then with this easy Homemade Strawberry Cake. A simple moist cake made extra delicious with a strawberry glaze. Serve it for dessert or even snack.
It's strawberry season here in Italy and strawberries are everywhere, so I decided that the perfect way to enjoy them would be in a cake!
How to make it
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a large bowl or mixer, cream the butter and sugar, then add the egg and vanilla and beat to combine.
Add the flour mixture alternately with the yogurt and milk on low speed until smooth.
Fold in the chopped strawberries. Add to the prepared cake pan and bake.
Let the cake cool in the pan for about 15 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely before adding the glaze.
How to make the glaze
In a medium bowl add the sifted powdered sugar, vanilla, cream and puree, whisk together until smooth. If it is too thick then add more cream or puree, too thin then more powdered sugar.
Why use cake flour
Cake flour in cakes will give you a very tender texture and fine crumb, it will also help the cake to rise. For every cup of all purpose flour, remove two tablespoons and replace with two tablespoons of corn starch. Be sure to sift the flour and cornstarch together a couple of times, this way it is sure to be properly combined and lump free.
What does yogurt do in a cake?
When adding yogurt to a cake it adds moisture and fat to the batter which results in a moist cake. This way you will never have a dry cake but a delicious cake!
Why are ingredients room temperature?
When at room temperature, eggs, butter, and other dairy ingredients form an emulsion which traps air. While baking in the oven, that trapped air expands and produces a fluffy baked good. When adding the eggs to the creamed butter you could get a curdled effect if your eggs are not at room temperature.
When to use baking soda?
Baking soda is used to neutralize the acids in a recipe and to add tenderness and a little leavening. Recipes that include anything acidic such as yogurt, sour cream, buttermilk and brown sugar to name a few. When baking soda is combined with an acid and a liquid it starts to work, therefore be sure to bake it immediately and don't leave it to sit.
How to make a strawberry puree
In the food processor or blender add 4-5 strawberries cut in half. Blend or puree until smooth. If you don't mind the seeds you can leave it as is, if not pass the mixture through a sieve. If you want to make extra you can always use the leftovers in this tasty and easy Strawberry Mousse!
So if you are looking for the perfect Spring or Summer Dessert I hope you give this Homemade Strawberry Cake a try and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
- 2 cups cake flour (260 grams)
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt*
- ¼ cup butter (soft)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- ½ cup yogurt whole plain (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons milk 2% or whole (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cup chopped strawberries
*If you use unsalted butter then add ½ teaspoon of salt.
- 1 cup icing/powdered sugar (sifted)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ tablespoons cream (whole/heavy/whipping)
- 1 tablespoons strawberry puree*
*If you wish you can replace part or all the cream with strawberry puree.
- 3-4 strawberries sliced/halved or whole for decorating
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour an 8 or 9 inch (20-22 cm) round cake pan.
- In medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In the mixing bowl on medium speed beat the butter and sugar until creamy, approximately 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the yogurt and milk on low speed 1-2 minutes until smooth. Gently fold in the strawberries. (the batter will be thick)
- Add the batter to the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes in pan then move to a wire rack to cool completely before drizzling with the glaze. Top with fresh strawberries before serving. Enjoy!
- In a medium bowl add the sifted powdered sugar, vanilla, cream and puree, whisk together until smooth. If it is too thick then add more cream or puree, too thin then more powdered sugar.