Peppermint Crumb Quick Bread
This Peppermint Crumb Quick Bread is made with white chocolate chips and peppermint extract. And why not a sprinkle of crushed peppermint candy on top!? To give it some crunch! This easy sweet bread is perfect for your Holiday breakfast, snack or even dessert. Can’t get much better than this!
If you like peppermint candy filled desserts during the Holiday Season then you will also love these Peppermint Shortbread Cookies and Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies.
This Peppermint Crumb Quick Bread is filled with delicious white chocolate chips and the addition of greek yogurt to the batter makes it much softer and moister than regular quick bread.
Plus, we can’t forget that delicious peppermint flavoring that makes it such a great loaf to serve and enjoy on Christmas morning with the whole family.
We also love serving along side this delicious peppermint bread an Eggnog Bread and a Walnut Cranberry Bread throughout the day for when people come over.
Table of Contents
Ingredients for the Peppermint Crumb Quick Bread
Peppermint Bread is easy to make and so tasty! With a few simple ingredients, your bread will be done in no time at all!
- All Purpose Flour: It’s the best flour to use when making a quick bread. It contains protein content between 10-12%.
- Granulated Sugar: Adds sweetness to the bread and keeps the baked goods soft and moist.
- Baking Soda & Baking Powder: Two leavening agents used to make this bread.
- Salt: Enhances the taste of the bread.
- White Chocolate Chips: Mixed together with peppermint candy and peppermint flavor makes for a delicious combination.
- Egg: Provides structure and binds ingredients together.
- Greek Yogurt: It helps make this quick bread recipe soft and moist. Plain greek yogurt is best as it doesn’t impact the flavor of the bread too much.
- Milk: I used 2%. Take it out of the fridge at least half an hour before using it for room temperature milk.
- Vegetable Oil: Makes the bread nice and moist. Vegetable oil is the best oil to use as its neutral in taste and doesn’t affect the bread’s flavor.
- Peppermint Extract: Gives the quick bread its delicious and quintessential peppermint flavor.
- Crushed Candy Canes: The bread’s topping. It gives the bread a pop of color, plus a nice crunch and taste.
How to Make Peppermint Crumb Quick Bread
This Loaf is easy and quick to make. First, make sure to pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C) and grease and flour a 9 inch loaf pan.
Mix together the dry ingredients: In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix in the white chocolate chips.
Mix together the wet and the dry ingredients: In a medium bowl beat together the egg, yogurt, milk, peppermint extract and oil until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until combined.
Pour the batter into the loaf pan, bake for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let the bread cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then sprinkle crushed peppermint candy on top of the loaf and transfer it onto a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
Tips for Making a Great Quick Bread
- Test the leavening agents for freshness before using. To test your baking powder, drop a pinch in a bowl of hot water. If it bubbles, your baking powder is good to use! If it doesn’t, discard and open a new container. To test baking soda add 2 tablespoons of vinegar to a bowl. Then add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to the bowl. If the mixture fizzes the baking soda is good.
- Don’t Over mix your batter. Mix the batter about 15 times max. Mixing too much will develop the gluten in the bread too much and make the texture tough instead of tender.
- Bake the bread as soon as you pour the batter into the pan. The leavening agents will start working into the batter as soon as the ingredients are all mixed together. If you take too much time to bake the loaf, the bread might not rise as desired.
- Cut the bread without making it crumble. Let the bread cool completely before cutting into it and when you do cut it, use a serrated knife.
What Method is Used to Prepare Quick Breads?
Quick breads are usually prepared using three different methods.
- Blending – The dry ingredients are combined in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another and then the dry are mixed in the wet to create the batter.
- Creaming – The fat (usually butter or oil) and sugar are beaten together to create an airy and light mixture. The eggs are then added and finally the dry ingredients are folded in to create the batter. This method is usually used to make muffins as well.
- Biscuit Method – The dry ingredients are sifted together, and then the fat get added to the mix to create a coarse mixture. The dry mix gets added to the wet mix and folded in to create a dense batter which will create a denser, but still flaky consistency.
The method used determines what kind of texture and crumb the bread will have after baking.
How to Store Peppermint Crumb Quick Bread
This Peppermint loaf can be stored at room temperature. Let the bread cool completely then place it in an airtight container or wrap tightly in plastic wrap. It will last for about 2-3 days. It will keep up to 4-5 days in the fridge.
Peppermint bread can also be frozen. Let the bread cool completely before freezing. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then place in an airtight freezer bag. The bread will keep for up to two months. Thaw the bread overnight in the fridge or on the counter top before consuming.
If Christmas was a flavor it would be peppermint and this Peppermint Crumb Quick Bread is everything you dream of in a Christmas loaf!
More Christmas Quick Bread Recipes
Peppermint Crumb Quick Bread
- 1½ cups All purpose flour
- ½ cup Granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- ½ cup White chocolate chips
- 1 large Egg – room temperature
- ½ cup Greek yogurt – plain
- ⅓ cup Milk – 2% room temperature
- ⅓ cup Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint extract
- 2 tablespoon Crushed candy canes
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C) and grease and flour a 9 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix in the white chocolate chips.
- In a medium bowl beat together the egg, yogurt, milk, peppermint extract and oil until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan, bake for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- When ready, let the bread cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then sprinkle crushed peppermint candy on top of the loaf and transfer it onto a cooling rack to finish cooling completely. Enjoy!