The best easy pie dough recipe that’s great for beginning bakers or anyone who wants an all-purpose homemade dough recipe. With just a few ingredients and a little bit of time, you can have the best pie crust ready to use for your favorite fillings.
Everyone needs a simple and easy homemade pie dough recipe and this recipe is my favorite. It’s very easy to make and can be used as a crust for your favorite pies and desserts.
What makes this pie dough so easy is the butter. Instead of using cold butter that is cut into the flour, you use softened butter that is first creamed with the sugar and then mixed with the other ingredients.
It’s an easier pastry to make and great for tarts, pies, or any dessert that needs a crust. If you are looking for a savory dough then This Savory Pie Crust is perfect.
Table of Contents
- Soft butter: Gives the dough flavor and helps make it flaky, remove the butter from the fridge 45-60 minutes before using.
- Granulated sugar: Is an enhancer that gives flavor to the dough.
- Salt: Will improve the flavor of the dough.
- Vanilla: Is also a flavor enhancer.
- Room temperature egg: An egg will help to bind the dough and make it flakier.
- All-purpose flour: Is what holds all the wet ingredients together, it also adds strength and structure.
- Pastry flour: It does the same as all-purpose flour except it also makes a pie more delicate.
How to Make Pastry Flour
Pastry flour is important for this recipe because it helps make a crust that is very tender. If you don’t have pastry flour on hand, you don’t need to worry. You can make your own using all-purpose flour.
Measure one cup of all purpose flour. Remove two tablespoons of the flour and add two tablespoons of cornstarch. Mix them together and then add to your recipe.
How to Make the Dough
Cream the butter, vanilla and sugar in a mixing bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy, approximately 3-5 minutes.
Add the egg, vanilla, flours and salt and then mix just until the dough comes together.
Take the pie dough out of the bowl and gently knead it into a ball. Wrap it with plastic wrap and chill it for at least 30 minutes before using it.
Keep it tightly wrapped and it will keep well for up to three days.
Yes, it freezes well. Tightly wrap it and then store it in a freezer bag or container. It will keep for up to six months. To thaw, leave it in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
Yes, it needs to be chilled for at least 30 minutes before you roll it out. If you skip this step your dough won’t be firm enough.
How to Use It
Once you’ve chilled the dough it’s ready for you to roll out and use. Here are some ideas you might like to try:
- Strawberry Cheesecake Pie Recipe
- Homemade Italian Apple Pie
- Homemade Apple Turnovers
- Italian Chocolate Pie
If you like making your own Pie Crust then I hope you give this delicious Homemade Pie Dough a try and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
Homemade Pie Dough
- 1 cup butter (soft) 225
- ½ cup granulated sugar 100
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 260
- 1 cup pastry flour 120
- In the mixing bowl cream the butter, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 3-5 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, flours and salt. Mix just until combined.
- Move to a lightly floured flat surface and gently knead into a ball, wrap & refrigerate 30 minutes before using.