This easy Sourdough Bread or almost sourdough bread is made with a simple sourdough starter made with yeast. A delicious bread that is perfect anytime. Serve it as a sandwich bread or as a dinner bread with your favourite meal.
Yesterday I shared a simple Sourdough Starter with Yeast and today here is the first thing I made with it. It is a delicious bread that even my husband who is Italian and definitely knows his bread, raved about.
How to make it
In the mixing bowl add the sugar, salt, baking soda, water, starter and part of the flour, beat with flat beaters until combined.
Cover the bowl and let rise 18 hours.
Stir in the remaining flour and knead to form a soft dough.
Move the dough to a lightly floured flat surface and form into a ball or oval shape. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet or in a loaf pan, cover and let rise 2 hours.
Pre-heat the oven, brush the dough with water then score and bake.
Once the dough is done immediately move to a wire rack to cool completely before eating.
How to feed your starter
When you decide to bake with it, remove it from the fridge, give it a stir, let it sit at room temperature for about 2 hours, then remove ½ cup of starter (113 grams) and feed with ½ cup of lukewarm water (118 grams), (if you find that your starter is very liquidy then add ¼ cup of water59 grams) and ½ cup of flour (65 grams), mix together until well combined. The remaining can be used to make any discard recipes. Cover with plastic wrap or the lid (just place it on top do not close). Let sit in a warm draft free area for approximately 3-4 hours or until doubled. Whatever you don't use for the recipe place in a clean jar and refrigerate until you are ready to use it again.
What is the best water to use
Be sure to use lukewarm water between 98-105F (36-40C). And be sure to use water without chlorine, that can kill your starter dough starter. And of course not distilled water. Regular filtered tap water is fine.
What is the best flour to use
I like to use a strong all purpose flour (11.5-12% protein) or a bread flour, you can even substitute ¼-1/3 of the flour with whole wheat if you prefer.
How to know when the bread is baked
The most popular way of telling if bread is done is to tap it on the bottom if you hear a hollow sound it's done. Although if you prefer the temperature method, then for sourdough bread, it should read about 205-210 F (96-98C).
How to store it
I like to store mine in a paper bag rather than plastic. Sourdough bread will also stay fresher than regular bread, it will keep fresh from 4-5 days at room temperature. Just be sure not to refrigerate it. Storing it in the fridge will make it dry and stale and not very tasty.
How to freeze bread
Be sure to cool the bread completely then wrap in plastic or foil and place in a freezer safe bag, be sure that it is an airtight bag. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. You could also slice the bread before freezing. To that the bread, leave it to thaw at room temperature still in the bag. Then heat it for about 10 minutes in a low oven before serving.
More Delicious Bread Recipes
So if you are looking to make a delicious bread with your Starter with Yeast, then this Easy Sourdough Bread is the bread for you. Enjoy!
Easy Sourdough Bread with a Yeast Sourdough Starter
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅔ cup water (lukewarm) (156 grams)
- ⅓ cup starter (active/fed) (75 grams)
- 2-2½ cups flour (all purpose or bread flour) divided (260-325 grams)
- In the mixing bowl add the sugar, salt, baking soda, water, starter and 1 cup (130 grams) of flour, beat with flat beaters until combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise 18 hours in a warmish draft free area.
- Stir in the remaining flour and knead with the dough hook to form a soft dough. (start with 1 cup and add more until you have a soft dough, I used 1 ¼ cups/162 grams)
- Move the dough to a lightly floured flat surface and form into a ball. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet or in a very lightly oiled 8-9 inch (20-22cm) loaf pan, cover and let rise 2 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F (200C).
- Brush the dough lightly with water, score it then bake for approximately 45-50 minutes. Once the dough is done immediately move it to a wire rack to cool completely before eating. Enjoy!