Thick and chewy chocolate chip chunky cookies are generously loaded with three different types of chocolate for the best treat. With crisp edges and gooey centers, these thick cookies are a simple pleasure that are rich, indulgent and irresistible!
With their golden exterior and soft and gooey centers, these chocolate chip chunky cookies are huge, thick and loaded with a generous amount of chocolate! Added pecans add crunchy texture and cold butter helps them stay super thick rather than spreading too thin.
These cookies are gourmet and rival any that you might purchase at a bakery! Making them homemade is so much better, though, as the aroma of freshly baked chunky soft chocolate chip cookies wafting through the house is the best!
While there is a time and place for crunchy chocolate chip cookies and chewy chocolate chip cookies, there is something so satisfying about breaking apart these soft cookies to reveal the chocolatey goodness inside. They are pure perfection!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love These Thick Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Soft and fluffy: Increasing the baking powder in these thick chocolate chip cookies gives them a soft, tender and fluffy texture!
- Thick and chewy cookies: Chilling the dough ensures that these cookies bake up with a thick texture! Plus an equal amount of brown sugar and white adds chewiness while still giving us those crisp cookie edges.
- Bakery inspired: These gourmet cookies are big in size and perfect for sharing or savoring along!
- Loads of chocolate: With three different types of chocolate chips, there is so much melty chocolate goodness inside these chunky cookies!
What You Need to Make These Cookies
- Cold butter: No need to soften butter or even melt butter, these cookies are made with cold unsalted butter!
- Chocolate chips: Chocolate chip chunky cookies are made with milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips and white chocolate chips for the best chocolate taste!
- Pecans: Chopped pecans for added texture.
- Sugars: Equal amounts of granulated white sugar and brown sugar add moisture and give the best crispy edges.
- Flours: Using both pastry flour and all-purpose flour ensures a light, soft baked good with a solid cookie structure.
- Salt: Enhances the taste.
- Baking soda: Adds lift and rise.
- Baking powder: An increased amount of baking powder ensures a soft and fluffy texture in these chunky chocolate chip cookies.
- Eggs: Two large eggs add moisture and binding.
Substitutions and Variations
- Chocolate chips: You can use chocolate chips or chocolate chunks in this recipe for chunky chocolate chip cookies! Feel free to use all three chips, a combination of two or even just semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Nuts: Omit the pecans or use chopped walnuts instead.
- More brown sugar: If you love a very moist homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe, use more brown sugar than white sugar.
- Chewier: Use one egg and then an extra egg yolk instead of two large eggs.
- Vanilla extract: Add up to a teaspoon of vanilla extract for another layer of rich flavor.
- Flour: You can use cake flour or make your own pastry flour by measuring out 1 cup of all purpose flour, removing 2 Tablespoons and then replacing it with 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Chunky Cookies
Using a stand up mixer, whip cold butter for about 30 seconds. Add both sugars and beat again for about 40 seconds until smooth and creamy.
Continue to form cookie dough by adding the chocolate chips and pecans. Add in both flours, salt, baking soda and baking powder and combine again.
In a small bowl whisk the two eggs together and add them to the bowl of cookie dough and then combine everything together until you get a cookie batter.
Handling the dough gently, form balls that weigh approximately 125 grams. Place cookie dough balls on a tray and freeze for 90 minutes or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350°F and place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up. Remove the warm baking sheet from the oven, place chilled balls of dough on the hot tray and bake the large cookies for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool chocolate chip chunky cookies on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips for the Best Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Don’t skip the chilling time: The chilling time helps create the best chocolate chip chunky cookie with the best round, thick and chewy texture. As the dough chills the flour absorbs liquids leading to thick cookies!
- Add cornstarch: If you are short on time and need to cut the chilling time down, adding up to two tablespoons of cornstarch to the cookie dough helps your cookies spread less for a thicker texture.
- Use an ice cream scoop: These are huge chocolate chip cookies that are extra thick! If you don’t have a scale to measure the dough, use an ice cream scoop to form the cookie dough balls.
- Underbake your cookies: For the best chocolate chip cookies, underbake them! Remove from the oven as soon as the edges of the cookies start to brown and the tops turn golden brown. They will continue to bake as they rest!
How to prevent the thick cookies from falling apart?
While warm, these chocolate chip chunky cookies are fragile! Let them cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before removing them to a baking rack to cool completely.
Can I make the cookie dough in advance?
Yes! Store the chocolate chip cookie dough for up to three days in the refrigerator before making the cookies. You may need to soften the dough to room temperature before forming into balls and baking.
Can I freeze the dough for later?
Yes! After forming into cookie dough balls, flash freeze them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Once frozen, store in an airtight container or freezer safe bag. Bake from frozen, increasing baking time as needed.
Can I make these cookies smaller?
Yes, but that might defeat the purpose of big chunky chocolate chip cookies! But, yes you can portion the dough into smaller cookies using a cookie scoop and they will still bake up thick. Baking time may decrease.
How to Store Chocolate Chip Chunky Cookies
Store Chocolate Chip Chunky Cookies in an airtight container for up to a week. These cookies also freeze really well! Cool your baked cookies completely and store in a freezer safe bag or container for up to three months.
More Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Double Chocolate Chip Drop Cookies
The Best Chocolate Chip Chunky Cookies
- 230 grams cold butter
- 200 grams milk chocolate chips
- 100 grams dark chocolate chips
- 100 grams white chocolate chips
- 150 grams chopped pecans
- 160 grams granulated sugar
- 160 grams brown sugar
- 200 grams pastry flour
- 300 grams all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- In the bowl of a stand up mixer, beat the butter for about 30 seconds. Add the brown and granulated sugar and beat again for about 40 seconds.
- Add chocolate chips and pecans and combine. Add the flours, salt, baking soda and baking powder and combine again.
- In a small bowl whisk the two eggs together and add them to the bowl and combine everything together until you get a cookie batter.
- Weigh the batter to 125 grams and form balls. Place them on a tray and freeze them for 90 minutes or overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C) and place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up. When the oven reaches the right temperature, take the baking sheet out, place the frozen cookie balls on the hot tray and bake the cookies for 17-20 minutes or until they become golden brown on top.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling completely. Serve and Enjoy!