This M&M Cookie Recipe takes your classic chocolate chip cookie to new heights with lots of colourful candy-coated chocolate! A soft homemade cookie with a crispy outer edge never tasted so good!
Sometimes all you need is a really good cookie to make your day. There’s nothing fussy or fancy about this recipe, it’s just simply delicious. Take your basic chocolate cookies recipe, give it some crispy golden edges, a melt-in-your-mouth bite, and add some fun colourful candy-coated chocolate M&Ms to top it off, and bam!
These chocolate chip monster cookies are as fun to make as they are to eat. They’re adorable, they’re colourful and they’re one of the best tasting cookies out there. Plus, the smell of freshly baked cookies right out of the oven is not something to ever pass up!
What’s neat is that you can take this recipe and use it for any occasion. A simple swap of colors is all it needs to go from birthday party rainbow to Christmas red or Halloween orange!
This m&m cookie recipe is the perfect quick and easy recipe for baking with kids. It requires minimal chill time so you won’t have to suffer through kids chomping at the bit to get their hands on one. These keep really well in the freezer so make a double batch and freeze some for later. Believe me, if you’re hoping for leftovers of the first batch, there won’t be any!
Table of Contents
How to Make Them
Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars until fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and continue beating until combined. Add in the flour mixture and beat on low until almost combined.
Add the m&ms and chocolate chips and fold in to incorporate. You can do this by hand at this point if you’d like.
Drop spoonfuls of batter on a prepared baking sheet and I like to add a few extra m&ms to the top of the dough for presentation.
Refrigerate while the oven is preheating then bake until edges are golden. Allow cooling on the sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Let me know what you think!
Tips for Making the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies with M&Ms
- For even baking make sure to bring your ingredients to room temperature. Don’t forget to soften your butter!
- I use milk chocolate chips, but you can use whichever you like.
- Mini m&ms are not a must, but it does allow you to add more into each individual cookie.
- Don’t skimp on the brown sugar. Soft, fresh brown sugar gives these cookies great flavour, but it also helps to keep them soft and moist.
- Using a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop will help you get just the right amount of dough for each cookie. Having even-sized cookies will also guarantee even baking throughout each one.
- If you’ve forgotten to add the extra m&ms just before baking, you can still do it once they’ve just come out of the oven while they are a bit soft.
- Don’t love m&ms? Swap for smarties instead!
What’s great about a simple cookie recipe is that you can jazz it up for special occasions. Use red and green M&Ms for Christmas cookies or orange and brown for Halloween. Red works for Valentine’s day, and green would be cute for St Patrick’s day. Chopped nuts would be great, pecans, or walnuts for an added crunchy texture. Swap the chocolate chips for white chocolate chips or toffee bits for a bit of a different flavour.
If you happen to have any leftovers after day 1 (don’t worry, you won’t), they’ll last in an airtight container on your counter for about a week.
You can. It will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days before you’ll need to transfer it to the freezer. Keep it wrapped in plastic wrap and place it in a freezer-friendly bag. It should keep for about 3 months.
These cookies are great for freezing. If you’ve made more than enough, freeze some for up to 3 months! Allow thawing at room temperature.
If you are looking for a delicious thick cookies then this is the one for you! Let me know if you try it.
M&M Cookie Recipe
- 1½ cup all purpose flour (11+ protein content)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup mini m&ms
- ½ cup chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate)
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In the mixer or large bowl beat on medium speed the butter and sugars until fluffy approximately 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat to combine, add the flour and beat on low, when almost combined add the m&ms and chocolate chips and combine either on low speed or by hand.
- Using either a soup spoon or ice cream scoop drop spoonfuls of batter on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. If desired add a few m&ms to the top of the dough. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes, while the oven is pre-heating.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are golden. Let cool on cookie sheet for approximately 10 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!